Damoiseau National Cocktail Competition 2023 Rules, Scorecards and Regulations
The registration period for the first phase of the competition will be open from October 1st, 2023 until November 1st, 2023.
Is open to working bartenders of legal drinking age in the United Kingdom. Employees or direct affiliates of Skylark Spirits or Rhum Damoiseau are prohibited from entering, and all entries will be considered void.
These rules cover the regulations for the drinks submitted to this competition throughout the entire competing period.
- Minimum 30ml of any Damoiseau Arrange expression to be used in the drink
- You Must reuse the fruit in any Damoiseau Arrange expression in your serve – this can be in the drink itself, or as part of the garnish
- Maximum of EIGHT (8) ingredients, excluding garnish
- Any homemade ingredient must include a detailed description of method of production
- No illegal or harmful ingredients may be used
The first phase of the competition will entail the submission of your original Rhum Damoiseau Arrange Cocktail, and sales of the drink within your venue over the period of November 1st, 2023 – November 30th, 2023.
- Drink must be purchasable at the bar between 01.11.2023 & 30.11.2023 – can be on a side menu, upsold via word of mouth or on an official menu – venues may be checked at random throughout this period and any venues without drink available for purchase may have entry invalidated
- Drink must be promoted on Instagram at least once with hashtags for event
- Judging will be done blind by a panel of consumers and industry experts over the course of the month
- Judging Criteria are drink specification and photo, Instagram/Socials, consumer appeal and sales appeal (30/30/30/10)
- Top 8-12 entries per region (North East & Scotland, North West, Midlands, London & the South) will go through to regional finals
The regional finalists will be invited to a venue in each of the regions to compete in the Regional Final. At this event, the finalists will recreate their cocktail as submitted online (modifications may be made, provided the organisers and judges are informed at least seven (7) days before the regional final. At this event, the finalists will be asked to create two (2) serves of their drink – one for the judges, and one for photography. The judging panel will consist of one representative from Skylark Spirits, one representative from Rhum Damoiseau and one local industry legend.
From each of these events, the top two (2) contestants will progress to the National Final, with the best overall 3rd place contestant also progressing to the final as a ‘wildcard’ entrant. At the national final, competitors will once again be tasked with recreating their drink for the judging panel and photography, with no consideration given to previous event performance.
- Competitors must create two serves
- Competitors are responsible for providing their own syrups, purees, additional ingredients, glassware and garnishes. Some generic equipment and juices will be available on the day
- Judging weighted on;Drink Taste – 30
Nose – 20
Visual Appeal, including Garnish – 20
Brand Knowledge – 15
Bar Technique & Workmanship – 15
- In the event of a tie, a Speed Daiquiri Competition will be the tie breaker
The Grand Prize for this competition is a trip to Guadeloupe to visit the Rhum Damoiseau Distillery, with flights, accommodation and meals provided.
The Second Place prize will be a trip to Paris, with a takeover at Dirty Dick’s consisting of the bartender’s menu with Rhum Damoiseau. Flights and accommodation will be provided for this trip
The Third Place prize will be a care package of rum from Rhum Damoiseau, along with some bar equipment and POS
Competitors MUST have a valid passport and be able to travel between March-May 2024 (exact dates to be communicated to the competition winner). In event of the winner being unable to fulfil these conditions, the prize will be redrawn and awarded to the runner ups.